The Conservative Association in Rawtenstall was formed at a meeting at The Rams Head Hotel on September 16th 1868 and their first premises were at Back Lane. They later moved to Lord Street opposite the Sun Inn and next in Kay Street.
It was reported in The Bacup Times on 12th February 1898 that a meeting was being held at St Mary's School Rawtenstall to consider the advisability of purchasing Alder Grange and an adjoining plot of land for the new club and bowling green.
Following negotiations and meetings, Rawtenstall Conservative Club finally announced that it had agreed terms with Alderman Worswick JP and taken a lease on Alder Grange House and Estate. This was to become the abode for the Con Club. Purchased from Alderman Worswick for the sum of £1000 for the house and land, the plan being to convert the dwelling into a club costing in the region of £500 and the construction of a bowling green at an equal amount.
In April 1899 the members entered their new premises which had been transformed into opulent decor and excellent facilities offering unprecedented social and educational inter courses for its members.
Although not an official opening, the Club opened its doors for delegates attending a conference and demonstration in connection with the visit of the Conservative Working Men's Association during April of 1899 and an official opening was to be held a few weeks later.
April 1905 saw the official opening of the bowling green carried out by J Ketby-Fletcher, Rossendale Conservative Candidate for Rossendale. The site boasted a full size bowling green 45 x 40 yards on an elevated plateau immediately adjoining the Club House with a handsome Pavilion sitting on the North-side. The works had been carried out by Mr Ormerod Ashworth, Contractor based at Crawshawbooth
It was more than sixty years before the decision was made to investigate new premises. With the age and size of the current premises, maintenance to upkeep the building were mounting steadily and a building only 100 yards away was to become their next home. The Alder Grange site was to be demolished in preparation for the erection of new modern style offices to house the Inland Revenue.
The new location for Rawtenstall Conservative Club was the former premises of Baxter Group of Companies situated on the corner of Grange Crescent. It was many years ago that the late Mr Edward J Mould started a printing business in Kay Street and was later joined by Mr George Pilkington. Then, about 1927 they were joined by Mr W Robinson to form the Grange Press and the new Company had the works erected in Grange Crescent.
The club still remains in Grange Crescent and externally has not seen much change but throughout 2017 & 2018 has had some significant refurbishment internally through voluntary work from the current committee and some generous donation from members and committee alike..